Moving may not be the most fun you've ever had, but planning ahead will go a long way toward making the process bearable needed for a successful move.*
- Label the contents on the outside of all boxes, along with the rooms to which they should be delivered in your new home. When packing fragile items, clearly mark "fragile" on the outside of the box, with arrows on the sides to indicate the correct upright position.
- Begin packing early. If you pack two boxes a day, in a month you will have packed up 60 boxes. Start with things that are not used frequently. Start in the basement, the garage or closets or other areas of storage.
- Hanging your clothing, like suits or dresses or coats in wardrobe boxes will save you the trouble of having these items laundered or having to press them upon arrival. You should not leave clothing in garment bags as they are not designed for moving. Clothing is best moved in wardrobes with your garment bags folded and placed in the bottom of the wardrobe carton.
- Be careful to avoid over packing your boxes. Try to keep the weight per carton to around 50 pounds or less.
- Pack the heaviest items on the bottom, lighter items next, filling in empty spaces with crushed paper.
- Wrap each item individually with a soft material to provide a safe, protective "padded nest."
- Unplug televisions, radios, stereos AND remove from the stand they are in. Place any loose items such as CDs, videos and electronics inside of boxes.
- If you moving a refrigerator, please defrost it the day before your move and thoroughly dry your refrigerator before moving. This is very important, or water will spill all over. The doors of your refrigerator should be left open several hours to air after defrosting. All pans, trays, crispers, shelves or removable parts should be removed and wrapped individually. Have your refrigerator serviced too before moving day. The motor may have to be bolted down before moving. Do not plug it in at the new home until it has been unbolted.
Do you have a tip you'd like to share? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*all packing materials are at an additional charge